The Cowtown C.A.L.F. Program
The C.A.L.F. Program
(Children’s Activities for Life and Fitness)
As part of The Cowtown Marathon’s mission to promote a lifelong love of fitness, The C.A.L.F. Program was created in 2009 to help tens of thousands of area children lace up and cross countless finish lines. Our staff and volunteers visit approximately 400 schools across North Texas annually, training students in proper running technique and educating them about resting heart rate, the importance of hydration, proper nutrition and living an active lifestyle.
But there’s so much more…
Through our school grant program, we identify low-income children and fit them properly with a new pair of running shoes, as well as provide grants to make entry fees more affordable. We then give those children tips and training to make running a 5K race a reality.
In 2017 alone, we awarded over 5,000 financial grants and 5,000 pairs of running shoes.
Our Kids 5K Presented by Academy Sports was named “The Top Kids’ Running Event in The Nation” in 2011 by Running USA.
By running any Cowtown race, YOU make all of this possible. Thank you.
C.A.L.F. Program Documents
Cowtown Challenge for Commitment
ATTENTION ALL FWISD HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS:
The Cowtown Challenge for Commitment is a scholarship program for students (9th through 12th grade) in Fort Worth ISD. You must log a MINIMUM of 24 volunteer hours with The Cowtown, as well as, participate in one of The Cowtown races throughout the year. If you start your freshman year and follow the guidelines each year, you could receive $4,000 at the end of your senior year. For more information, click the links below.
Cowtown’s Commitment to Sustainability
The Cowtown Marathon is committed to research and implementation of policies and procedures to be a more sustainable event. We are a fully certified responsible event by the Council for Responsible Sport, which is an independent organization providing guidelines and best practices for events in Planning, Procurement, Resource Management, Accessibility and Community Legacy.
In 2020, our focus and initiatives include:
-Prevent the creation of waste in the first place, then divert recyclable and organic waste materials from being sent to the landfill. Please help us out by sorting waste into the proper bins on race day! If you are not sure look for signage on our trash receptacles for help!
-Identify and reduce barriers to participation so that everyone who wants to be a part of the Cowtown can be
-Help build community and healthy lifestyles for our local youth with the C.A.L.F program (Children’s Activities for Life & Fitness) — learn more here (https://cowtownmarathon.org/community-involvement/)
-Inform participants about sustainable transit options for race weekend including free hotel shuttles, bike valet, and information on the new TEXRail public transit
-Inform participants on various sustainability options in Fort Worth through partnerships with Keep Fort Worth Beautiful, City of Fort Worth, and Cowboy Compost
Here Are Some Ways to Help Us
- Bike Valet: The Cowtown offers a bike valet for anyone that wants to travel to the race on two wheels. Drop off your bike while our volunteers keep an eye on it. The bike valet will be located with the United Healthcare Gear Check areas. On Saturday it will be inside the Amon G. Carter Exhibit Hall in the Northwest corner. On Sunday it will be off Burnett-Tandy Drive, inside of the Cattle 1 barn.
Shoes and E-Waste RECYCLING
- Do you have old running shoes, phones, or tablets laying around your house? Bring them to the Cowtown Expo for recycling.
- Check out Fort Worth’s new public rail option for traveling downtown. TEXRail is an affordable way to get downtown on race day. (https://ridetrinitymetro.org/texrail/)
- The Dash
- The Cowtown is partnering with Trinity Metro to make transportation to our expo easier. The Dash runs from the Trinity Metro Central Train station to the Cultural District which includes the Will Rogers Memorial Center. For more information on riding The Dash see https://ridetrinitymetro.org/dashanddiscover/
- We need your help with our Zero Waste/Waste Diversion initiatives. All of our garbage areas will have an can to dispose of compostable, recyclable, and trash items. Be mindful when you are throwing away items of where to properly put them. Thanks to the City of Fort Worth, Cowboy Compost and Republic Waste for their help with these initiatives.
- The Cowtown is partnering with the City of Fort Worth, Keep Fort Worth Beautiful and Cowboy Compost on its sustainability initiatives. For more information about these organizations see the links below:
- Cowboy Compost
- Keep Fort Worth Beautiful
- City of Fort Worth Waste Management
- Republic Services
The 4th Annual Cowtown C.A.L.F Running Camp
Help keep your child active this summer with a summer running camp hosted by The Cowtown! We will cover a variety of running topics, have fun running activities, provide healthy snacks, and host a fun run at the end of the week. Camp is Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Each participant will receive a camp shirt, pedometer, daily snack, and a swag bag on the closing day!
For more info, please email – [email protected]